We spend a lot time thinking about what was and what could have been. We spend much time projecting into the future and wondering about what may happen. This way of thinking is indeed a great way to make much of your life a lot more miserable and limited than necessary. The key to solving this problem is of course to live as much as you can in the only moment that you ever really live in and control. This is about staying present. Here are tips for how to stay present.
Living in the moment can bring clarity and calmness. When you’re in the present moment you can become aware of your feelings, allowing you to understand what’s going on and what you may need to cope. Staying present can also be useful for strengthening interpersonal relationships, while at work, when writing and even while deciding what to eat. You feel centered, relaxed and whatever you do you do more easily. Since you are not projecting into a possible future or reflecting on the past there is very little fear to hold you back.
Living in the moment can also bring about a positive sense of self. If you are present, you can consciously choose positive self-talk versus negative thoughts. All of these things can lead to a better, healthier life for you and ease what we all suffer from now and then, worry.
Here are tips to stay present and start living in the now:
- Focus on what’s right in front of you. Use your senses. Smell the coffee in the morning, look at what’s in front of you, and listen to the sounds around you. Trust me, it will bring a different outlook to things once you are really present.
- Listen to your inner body. This is similar to focusing on your breathing. Focus on your breathing and the energy your body gives off. A good time to try this is when you’re being active. Focus on how it feels to move your muscles and breathe deeply for more oxygen.
- See others. It’s just like picking up positivity or enthusiasm from others. See their presence.
- Be aware of your own emotions. Don’t resist how you feel, because there is a reason you are feeling that way. Understand why you are feeling that way, and embrace it. It is a normal and natural part of life to experience a range of emotions so we need to accept that and want to understand our feelings.
- Have fun and Be HAPPY. Do something each day for YOU. Put down your work for a second and go for a walk, workout, call a friend, or go to a happy hour. It’s your life and if you’re happy, it will show in every other aspect of your life. This has a really big impact on the balance in your life. We all need balance! Learn more about how you can become an expert at putting yourself first at the official Me First Blog!
- SMILE. A smile is as contagious as a yawn. Smiling is a great way to make yourself stand out while helping your body to function better. Smile to improve your health, your stress level, and your attractiveness. Smiling is just one fun way to live longer and be present.
Blog contributed by Not On A Diet intern: Melanie Brown. Email your questions and blog post suggestions to Melanie at: Melanie@NotOnADiet.com